Monday, November 24, 2014

Eeeeewww STEAK!! Gross!

This will be the very first day of eating a full meal.  Anything I want!  Its day 12 or Day 2 of 20 of the Continuation.

So...since I've started with the cleanse, even though most of my worst cravings have gone there was one constant food item that kept coming to mind.  Steak! Big fat juicy steak! Thoughts of ordering it medium rare, the smell of it.  Cutting into it, taking a bite, tasting its wonderfulness and feeling the juices flowing on my tongue.  Mm. Mm. Mm. Mmmmmmmm.

Well guess what I've decided will be my first meal.  You got it!  Went to meet my Aunt for breakfast at one of our favorite places to eat in our town.  My favorite meal of the day IS breakfast and I love eggs any-which-way with a really good steak and that is exactly what I ordered - medium rare, thank you very much.  I was so excited to finally be able to get some of that awesome red meat in me, I could hardly wait for it to come to the table.

We like to eat family style so we can have a little of this and a little of that.  And in celebration of my completing the cleanse, my Aunt ordered a few more of my favorite foods.

Steak and Eggs just the way I like it!
Photo credit: Me So Hungry!

I never remember to pull out my phone to take pics of food..besides I just want to eat it not photograph it.  I DO NOT own the photos below, but thought these would be the best representation of what we had at the table.

Char siu (chinese roast pork), this one is done Hawaiian style.
Photo credit and recipe: Hawaiian Ethnic Kaukau

Simple Fried Noodles w/Char Siu
Photo credit: The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog

Poke -pronounced: poh-kay (cubed raw fish seasoned Hawaiian style)
Photo credit: The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog  

Poi (pounded steamed or baked taro) a staple in Hawaiian foods.

 Lau lau (pork and butterfish wrapped in taro leaf then steamed).

 
Saimin (Hawaii style Ramen)  The dashi (soup base) is so
nice at the end of a meal to wash everything down. Mmmm.
Photo credit: The Tasty Island Honolulu Food Blog

Yes, I know, that is a helluvalotta food!  Gives you a little insight on how I used to eat, especially with my Aunt.  But...back to my steak and eggs.  When it got there I did the usual ritual of mixing some steak sauce and pepper for dipping on the side and prepared to dig in.

To my dismay & disappointment when I put that first bite into my mouth I literally immediately wanted to spit it out!  For some reason, it was the grossest thing I ever tasted right in that moment.  At first I thought it was the steak so I had my Aunty try a bite - she said it was perfectly delicious.  So I took another bite - same thing and this time I did take it out of my mouth.

Could it be?  Do you think..?  Have my taste buds changed so much that it made me not like the taste of meat?  Whaaaaat?  I am way too confused at this point and I can't even tell you how disappointed I am because I was really looking forward to that steak.

Needless to say, aside from my taste buds, my stomachs' capacity for food is virtually so small that I ended up taking just a little bite of laulau, 2 cubes of poke and a few scoops of poi and I was done.  I did drink a lot of the dashi from the saimin because it soothed me.

Auntie packed up the food to go, she'll have a great leftovers for dinner at least.  I on the other hand and going to have to reassess again what and how I eat.  Hmmmmfff!!

Well.......We'll see where it goes from here.

Mahalo for visiting.  Be well.



No comments:

Post a Comment